Saturday, August 23, 2008

Quotes and thoughts for Karena...

Ref: Karena 22/08/08

All quotes from S. Sontag. Regarding the Pain of Others. I finished reading it You are welcome to take it, Karena… (but please don't return to Library) it’s on my desk.
The quotes are of my interest as well as I think has relation to the things Karena mentioned.

…tragic past does not sit well with the founding (of the nation),… P88.

Whom do we wish to blame? Who do we think we have the rights to blame?... P93.

When there are photographs, a war becomes “real”. P104.

Denunciation of a particular conflict and attribution of specific crimes will become a denunciation of human cruelty, human savagery as such. The photographer’s intentions are irrelevant to this larger process… P122.

We don’t understand. We don’t get it. We truly can’t imagine what it was like. We can’t imagine how dreadful, how terrifying war is. And how normal it becomes… Can’t understand and can’t imagine. That is how (those who have been in a war) feels. And they are right. P125.
……………………….

Therefore I want to know. Therefore I enjoy imagining, almost fantasising, about all the horrors and dread. And paradoxically, to keep enjoying this wicked fantasy, I must never succeed to understand or be in the situation in reality….

Also remembering a dialogue of a writer with someone…
When he travelled to Cuba, he asked the locals how they were during ‘Cuba Crisis’, they answered ‘what crisis?’, ‘ what are you talking about?’ To them, the everyday was everyday, when western media was stirring American anxiety. And Cuba was and has been always, from western standard, in a mundane turmoil...
(well, the article I read must be at least 10years old so I don’t know about now though…)

A. Mizuo

No comments: